We are very happy to announce a Special Issue on Automotive User Interfaces for the MTI (Multimodal Technologies and Interaction) Open Access Journal.
The overall goal of this Special Issue is to explore and evaluate automotive user interfaces, interaction design, and user experience. It targets original and scientifically-grounded research, as well as design-oriented research undertaken in the automotive realm.
This Special Issue is focused on novel multimodal technologies and interactions, such as rich touch, gesture interaction, Augmented Reality, etc. In a time of automation, we are also interested in new interaction approaches with Advanced Driver Assistant Systems and more broadly the interaction with automated vehicles. Approaches to study driver distraction and engagement, design for trust and ethics in automotive research are welcomed. Work on multimodal user interfaces in special vehicles, such as trucks or electric vehicles is appreciated.
Submissions can include empirical and theoretical research, or be more interaction design focused, ranging from thought-provoking theory, novel methods, creative interaction concepts and innovative prototypes, to laboratory and field studies.
Topics included (but not limited to):
- Automotive multimodal interaction
- Automotive User Interfaces (UI)
- Interaction Design (IxD) and User Experience (UX) in automobiles
- Rich touch, gesture, speech, gaze and brain-computer interaction
- In-vehicle Augmented Reality (AR)
- Windshield- and Head-up-Displays (HUD)
- Interaction with Advanced Driver Assistant Systems (ADAS)
- Automated vehicles and autonomous driving
- Driver distraction
- Driver engagement
- Acceptance, trust and ethics in automotive research
- Multimodal interaction with vulnerable road users (VRU)
- UIs in special vehicles (trucks, electric vehicles, car sharing, etc.)
- Automotive simulator and (naturalistic) field studies
- Deadline for manuscript submissions: 1 August 2018
- Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited.
- For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement.
- Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers).
- Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English.
- A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page.
- Authors may use MDPI’s English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com
- All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process.
- Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted).
- MTI – Multimodal Technologies and Interaction (ISSN 2414-4088) is an international, scientific, open access journal of multimodal technologies and interaction published quarterly online by MDPI.
- MDPI is an open access journal based in Basel, Switzerland. It fosters open scientific exchange across all disciplines. All content is distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY).
More information can be found at the Special Issue website.
Dr. Alexander Meschtscherjakov
Dr. Ronald Schroeter
Prof. Dr. Manfred Tscheligi