PhD positions in Human-Computer Interaction
Deadline for application: March 23, 2018
Intended date of beginning: as early as possible
Intended duration: to be negotiated
Extent of employment in hours per week: 30
We are seeking PhD candidates for contributing to ongoing research projects of the Center for HCI, many of which are in cooperation with academia and industry. The research is positioned in the area of human-computer interaction, user experience, and/or interaction design.
You may apply for one or more of the following PhD directions:
- Design research with focus on design processes, materials, and materiality
- Participatory HCI research including specific user groups (e.g., older adults, children, people with impairments, workers, etc.)
- HCI research focusing on mobility / (semi-)autonomous driving
- Research on persuasive technologies (empirical research and/or explorative interface design)
- Research on autonomous systems experience / human robotic systems interaction
- Design and engineering research on smart material interfaces
- Experimental engineering for novel interface technologies (e.g., sensor technology, RF based interfaces)
- You completed master studies in Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science, Psychology, Communication Science, Sociology, Interface Design, Interaction Design, or a related program that you consider relevant for aforementioned research directions
- Experiences with academic research and publication writing would be a plus
Required personal qualities:
- Passion for academic research
- Perfect command of English (in writing and speaking)
What we offer:
- An interdisciplinary, vibrant group of researchers
- An extraordinary research facility that supports individual styles of working
- The possibility to enroll for the HCI PhD program at the University of Salzburg
- An international, well-established network of research and industry partners
The PhD position is offered in accordance with the University and Employee Law and with § 26 of the “Kollektivvertrag für die ArbeitnehmerInnen der Universitäten” (Collective Agreement for University Employees; group B1; the gross monthly salary for 30 hours is EUR 2.096,00, 14x per year). For further information regarding this position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Paris-Lodron University Salzburg particularly welcomes applications from women in accordance with its mission to increase the number of women in academic positions. In case of equal qualification, female applicants will be hired preferentially. Individuals with disabilities or chronic conditions, who meet the required qualifications, are explicitly invited to apply. Further information will be provided by via email@example.com.
Unfortunately, travel and accommodation expenses for job interviews will not be reimburse; if applicable, remote interviews can be arranged. Employment will be done in agreement with the University rules 2002 (UG) as well as the Employee rules.
Application: Please send your application including motivation letter, CV, portfolio if applicable, and contact details of academic references to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than March 23, 2018 (please state the reference number in your application: HCI_2018_P).