Student Employee / Internship in the topic area of Human-Machine Interfaces for Automated Vehicles
We invite applications from excellent candidates to investigate the design of human-machine interfaces for drivers of automated vehicles (SAE Levels 2-3) at the Paris Lodron University Salzburg, Department of Artificial Intelligence and Human Interfaces, Austria. The work will be situated within the EU-Horizeon2020-project HADRIAN (https://hadrianproject.eu).
- Deadline for application: June 30, 2022
- Intended date of beginning: min. 6 months (to be negotiated)
- Planned duration: 1 year with options to extend
- Extent of employment: 20 hours per week (up to 40 possible in July-September)
- Salary: approx. € 1,105.00 gross (14 times per year)
- Application to be sent to: email@example.com
The project and your role in it:
The HADRIAN project investigates and defines the driver role for automated vehicles using a holistic user-centered approach that addresses shortcomings of current development and design processes and targets the transition phase towards full automation, where drivers are still expected to perform driving tasks. HADRIAN proposes a fluid interaction HMI, consisting of several interface elements developed by the individual project partners.
The contribution of the Paris Lodron University of Salzburg (PLUS) is an (ambient) light interface that supplements the other HMI elements via high-level baseline information and directs the driver’s attention towards areas of interest. The project is currently underway and will conclude in Q2 2023. Further employment beyond the project’s duration is both possible and intended. Your role will be to develop the microcontroller-based light controls, including processing signals from a central control unit as well as synchronization of multiple devices.
- Excellent skills and/or practical experience in one or more of the following research areas: Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, Tangible Interaction, etc.
- Experienced in working with microcontrollers (Arduino preferred)
- Knowledgeable in at least one of: C, C++, Java
- Skills to conceptualize, design and functionally prototype digital and/or physical interactive artifacts
Additional expertise (recommended but not mandatory):
- Experience in working with Bluetooth modules and Bluetooth low-energy wireless technology
- Previous experience with vehicular interfaces or light-based interfaces
What we offer:
- An interdisciplinary, supportive and vibrant group of researchers that inspire research careers
- An extraordinary research facility that supports individual styles of working
- An international, well-established network of industry and research partners
Please send your application including
- Comprehensive CV incl. list of publications (if any)
- Portfolio / website / bachelor thesis (if available based on your background)
- Contact information
to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 30 2022 (please state the reference number in your application: HCI_2022_hadrian).
Paris Lodron University Salzburg and the Salzburg University of Applied Sciences particularly welcomes applications from women in accordance with its mission to increase the number of women in academic positions. In case of equal qualification, female applicants will be hired preferentially. Persons with disabilities or chronic illnesses who meet the required qualification criteria are strongly encouraged to apply. For information, please call +43/662/8044-2462 or write to email@example.com.
Unfortunately, travel and accommodation expenses for job interviews will not be reimbursed; if possible, remote interviews can be arranged. Employment will be done in agreement with the University rules 2002 (UG) as well as the Employee rules.
For more information contact Prof. Alexander Meschtscherjakov